Recently, the Aadhaar issuing body- UIDAI, introduced new PVC Aadhaar cards that are easier to carry and have better security features. In this article, let’s compare the PVC Aadhaar card with the regular Aadhaar card and check its features, charges, and steps to order it online.
PVC Aadhaar vs. Regular Aadhaar Card: Everything You Need to Know
Up till now, we’ve only had paper-based Aadhaar cards- you could either use paper print or cut out from the Aadhaar letter. However, the government has now introduced PVC cards, too, as an option.
The Aadhaar PVC card measures the same as a debit or credit card with rounded corners. It is made of polyvinyl chloride, which makes it durable and suitable for rough and tough use.
At the front, you’ll see the usual information like your name, date of birth, and gender alongside the 12-digit Aadhaar number. There’s a hologram to the right which reads “mera Aadhaar meri pehchaan,” followed by ‘Aadhaar,’ which shines in Hindi and English at different angles.
The issue date is mentioned to the left, accompanied by a Guilloche Pattern and a ghost image (a small version of your photo and Aadhaar number) to the right. There’s also a Microtext that reads UIDAI, bordering the identity photo.
Plus, there is an embossed Aadhaar logo (invisible logo in the image) in the middle. It can be felt with fingers and is visible on tilting the card.
At the back, you have your address and a secured QR code that can be scanned for instant offline verification. The back also contains the Aadhaar print date as well as the Guilloche pattern.
In comparison, the regular Aadhaar card is made of laminated paper. It can be torn or damaged easily by water and other liquids. Moreover, it lacks security features like Hologram, Guilloche Pattern, ghost image, micro text, issue date, and print date.
Salient Features of Aadhaar PVC Card
- Good printing quality and lamination.
- Aadhaar PVC is more durable and convenient to carry, like a debit card.
- It has the latest security features, including a hologram, Guilloche Pattern, ghost image & Microtext.
- Contains an embossed Aadhaar logo.
- Has issue date and print date as additional security features.
- The Aadhaar PVC card is weather-proof. No need to worry about it getting damaged by the rain or moisture.
- Instant offline verification by QR Code.
The Aadhaar PVC card costs Rs. 50 including the shipping fee, which is the same for a regular Aadhaar card. It can be ordered online. You don’t have to go to any Aadhaar centers.
How to Order PVC Aadhaar Card Online
As mentioned, the PVC print costs the same as the regular paper-based card. You can order it online from the UIDAI website by following the steps given below.
- Visit the official UIDAI website at https://uidai.gov.in/.
- Scroll down to Get Aadhaar and click on Order PVC Aadhaar.
- Enter your 12 digit Aadhaar number or Virtual ID/ EID to proceed. Then, enter the captcha code.
- Click on Send OTP and enter the OTP received on your mobile. If your mobile is not registered, then click ‘My mobile is not registered.’
- Once you verify OTP, you’ll see a preview of your card.
- Now, click on Make Payment and pay the fee online, either via debit/ credit cards, UPI, or net banking.
Once the order is placed, your PVC Aadhaar card will be delivered to your doorstep in about 5-7 days via India Post. You can track the status of your order using your service request number given in the payment receipt.
Is it Mandatory? Should You Order it?
No, it is not mandatory as of now. The government is just offering it as an option for people who want a more durable card with extra security features. That said, if your existing card is damaged, you can surely order the PVC version since it costs the same as the regular reprint.
As evident, the PVC Aadhaar card is overall a better option compared to the regular Aadhaar card. It’s not only more durable but also offers security features which are absent in the latter. However, do note that it’ll add heft to your wallet just like an extra debit card would do. So, order only if you need one.
Also, read- How to Get Color Voter ID Card Online in India
“PVC Aadhaar Card vs. Regular Aadhaar Card: Features, Charges & How to Order”,