Unnamed sources informed Bloomberg that the White Home will host a gathering between President Joe Biden and a few of the nation’s largest tech companies on Wednesday afternoon. In accordance with these sources, the CEOs of Microsoft, Amazon, and Apple have confirmed their attendance. Different giant corporations, together with Google, IBM, Southern Firm, and JP Morgan, have been invited.
The assembly is meant to handle the extreme enhance in ransomware, on-line assaults, and information leaks seen this 12 months. Though we do not know the precise agenda, one senior official accustomed to the occasion stated discussions of higher provide chain safety are doubtless, and there’ll in all probability be a give attention to software-driven options.
Excessive-profile safety breaches Biden and the tech CEOs would possibly focus on embody, however will not be restricted to:
- This month’s T-Cellular server breach, which uncovered as much as 100 million People’ private information
- July’s large Kaseya ransomware assault—which initially focused a administration instrument slightly than the end-victims themselves
- A months-long Geico breach exposing clients’ driver’s license numbers, addresses, dates of delivery, and many others.
- A misconfigured Experian API that leaked credit score scores of tens of tens of millions of People
- A Might assault that took Colonial Pipeline down, disrupting gas distribution throughout the japanese US seaboard
- March assaults concentrating on small companies, cities, cities, and native governments by way of Microsoft Change vulnerabilities
- SIM swapping assaults on T-Cellular clients in February, ensuing from a number of of the corporate’s earlier breaches
- December’s SolarWinds provide chain assault, which compromised server administration instruments themselves
Bloomberg’s sources solely talked about CEOs, so it is unclear if the CISOs of the invited corporations are collaborating as nicely.
Neither the White Home nor any of the businesses talked about have responded to press requests for remark.